50 Awesome Ways to Use Skype in the Classroom
July 20, 2011 § Leave a comment
Teaching Degree published a great article on 50 ways to use Skype in the classroom. The piece divides tips into five sections. The first section, “Promoting Education,” listed ways to “teach students in a dynamic way.”
4. Field trips. If students aren’t able to participate in a field trip due to factors such as budgetary or distance constraints, use Skype to bring the field trip into the classroom.
5. Using Skype in the languages classroom. Find out how this teacher uses Skype to help her students study foreign languages from native speakers.
The second section, “Promoting Community,” gives suggestions on how to integrate your students into a bigger community.
11. This blog post explains how a 4th grade class used Skype to help a classmate with leukemia become a part of the classroom from her home.Inclusion — helping a classmate join the classroom from home
12. Connect special needs students. Students who may have to be out of the classroom due to special needs or IEP requirements don’t have to miss any special events in the classroom with Skype.
“Promoting Community” is followed by “Skype Ideas for Teachers and Parents,” with gems such as these:
21. Professional development. Teachers can use Skype to access professional development opportunities, such as watching conference presentations.
23. Conference with parents. Whether a parent has to miss a regular conference or a concern comes up that requires speaking with a parent, Skype can provide an opportunity to connect with a parent that may not otherwise be available for a conference.
No list of ways to use Skype would be complete without a section on: “Resources for Getting Started and Using Skype.” Here are a couple of suggestions:
38. Skype is a Valuable Educational Tool. This podcast explains why teachers should use Skype and puts some nasty rumors about Skype to rest.
39. Using Skype in schools – some tips. Read these helpful tips, including suggestions on using Skype usernames at school and home.
Teaching Degree also makes sure to help those out who are trying to find “Others Using Skype”:
40. ePALS. Sign up for a free account here, then find other teachers and classes around the globe using Skype.
For more information, read the source here.